In the 1920’s, Sunbury resident Charles Keithan started a hobby garden that grew, unexpectedly, into a beloved part of the community landscape.
Located on a 1.5 acre tract along Sunbury’s riverside, the park still contains some of the exotic trees that Keithan imported from around the world, as well as representative species of two of his favorite plants - azaleas and rhododendrons.
Like a hardy perennial, the garden has bounced back a few times. All but destroyed by a 1930’s flood, the park was rebuilt by Keithan. After his death in the 1980’s, volunteers maintained Keithan’s Bluebird Gardens until around five years ago, when the city took over and hired The Murrays as Rejeuvenators & Protectors.
The garden is located in the southern portion of Sunbury between Front Street and Second Street.